The Tek RMD is a completely new concept blending health giving standing, mobility and hands-free convenience - much more than a wheelchair alternative. A very practical use of robotics when mobility is compromised for example following a spinal cord injury or by a neurological condition.
When you really think about it, what can people with paralysis not do? Well getting around is not a massive issue thanks to the wheelchair. Standing more often and when you want to without assistance is important to health. Being able to stand to perform some functions with hands free and be able to move around is a very nice feature.
Following a spinal cord injury and many other conditions, standing is recommended as a daily exercise for long term health. However, existing devices for achieving standing are either limited to just this and are bulky, or very slow to use, don't provide a goood posture and require too much effort.
The Tek RMD device is designed to look good as well as deliver the functionality needed in everyday life. Like all products this one is not for everyone. It is Ideal for paraplegics or those with compromised walking and standing ability - but you need good upper limb and hand function.
The Tek RMD is a 21st Century re-think of the wheelchair. It takes up less space, is easier to manoeuvre and brings lots of health and practical benefits. Here is an example how you might use it. Suppose you are sitting on a bed or a chair. You might then want to
- Summon the device to come to you with the remote control
- Get on board the device safely from the back - no awkward or dangerous transfers
- Stand up on your own by pulling on the handlebars - just the right amount of help from the system
- Move around your indoor environment whilst standing.
- Hands are free whilst you stand.
- Want something on that low shelf? No problem - squeeze the lever, push with your arms and lower yourself to just the right height. Just pull on the bars to stand once more
Here is a video showing the product in action
WHY USE THE Tek RMD
Standing at will and moving at ease through the environment is something that many of us take for granted. It's done without much thought. Yet people with limb paralysis will face many obstacles in trying to achieve these simple, everyday things. It comes down to making compromises. Wheelchairs have been around for a hundred years and of course there are now many types with a bewildering range of features. The various designs present different benefits of course, but they also have many problems in common because these designs all stem from the same fundamental concept.
For example, one of the main problems of using any wheelchair is that you have to somehow get into and out of it - and you must get into it from the front which means transferring in or out somehow.
When you really think about it, this is a problem because wherever a person is sitting, for example on a couch, bed, toilet seat or a chair, his or her front side of the body is always free and the body is always resting on his back. For this reason paraplegic people have to lift their body with their arms and get themselves onto their wheelchairs in order to successfully transfer their body from a bed or a chair. This can be a challenge and is often difficult and even unsafe for many disabled persons - especially without the assistance of others. And what if the user's wheelchair is not conveniently nearby?
WHO CAN USE THE Tek RMD?
The TEK Robotic Mobility Device can be used by a many persons with lower-limb paralysis but of course it can't be suitable for everyone. Please review the following points carefully. For persons intending to place an order we will visit and verify the devices suitability.
The Tek RMD is a remarkably small, motorized standing movement device. It is only 15.6" wide and 29.5" long (39.5 cm X 75 cm). It covers only one third of the space of a small wheelchair so users can pass through many narrow spaces which they can never pass through with a wheelchair. They can also reach places in their home and offices, which is not possible with any other device.
Despite its narrow dimensions, Tek RMD is an exceptionally well-balanced device. It grabs the users from the balance points and prevents any misuse or unwanted movements that would result in a loss of balance. Correct standing position and balance are preserved at all times.
You can Download a PDF fact sheet here
INTENDED USERs SHOULD MEET THESE STATURE REQUIREMENTS
We will require these measures and assess a variety of issues to ensure the system is safe and effective
- Have a height between 140 and 190 cm
- A weight between 40 and 120 Kg
- An overall foot length between 23 and 35 cms
CONTRAINDICATIONS & CAUTIONS
- Leg length discrepancy of more than 5 cms (2 ins)
- Lack of upper body/trunk control ability. The user should be able to stabilise him/herself in a standing position without using the arms to hold position.
- Restricted hand function that inhibits the operation of the TEK RMD's controls.
- Flexion contractures at the hips, knees or ankles that will prevent upright standing posture
- Restricted ability to generate force and restricted range of motion in shoulders and upper extremities that will prevent the user from gaining an upright position.
- Severe osteoporosis in the lower limbs or spine or a history of fractures
- Unstable fractures of the lower limbs or spine
- Open wounds or acute pressure ulcers at the back, hips or lower extremities
- Uncontrolled autonomic dysreflexia, hypotension or dizziness in upright standing
- History of epilepsy
- Cognitive disabilities that impair safe use of the device
- Severe visual impairment preventing safe use of the device
PRICING - Is CURRENTLY £15,076 plus shipping Costs of £450.
This price is EX VAT (most clients are will not be required to pay VAT) and includes a setup and follow-up visit.
PLEASE NOTE: We can only serve UK clients with the Tek RMD
To request a formal quote or a demonstration please Contact us or complete this form. At present we expect supplies to be limited and it may take some time to offer a demonstration.